Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Corner, My Cross and My Son




CrossRolling 3
I know those within the CrossWalking community use this term. However, since I literally roll and am reaching out to cars whizzing by on a highway I have chose to refer to my time out with the cross as such. I can not in a clear conscience refer to myself as a crosswalker.

Today was the third time out with the cross on my corner. I had hopes of getting out with it earlier in the day, but various things came up and the day drew on. My wife Suzanne had not been feeling well and since I require her assistance and it was getting closer to evening, I had pretty much decided I would not go out today.

My son Tyler stepped up to help out his dad. He helped me get everything together and ready and went with me to my corner. It was another cloudy, windy and for our area, cold day. I had sent out a message prior to leaving and asked for prayer for those driving by seeing the Are You Ready Cross. We began our time in prayer and I asked if he would like to read from the Bible. He did not hesitate. He read several chapters of Psalms.

A little time passed, we had several vehicles blow their horns and waves could be seen. One truck passed with an older couple in it, I saw a look of confusion and repulsion on the face of the passenger.

Then I was blessed again. Not only had God provided me the help of my son and the pleasure of hearing him read out loud outside, which I think was a first for him, but then something I will never forget. I had planned on reading several chapters while holding my cross. Well, it is not very easy balancing my cross in one hand and my Bible in the other. He took my cross, walked closer to the edge of the road and unashamedly stood there with it, as if he was a veteran at it. Did I mention he is a 17 year old teenager? Did I mention he is on the varsity football team and was wearing his letterman jacket? Did I mention this a very small town and all the locals know their team and players?

Romans 1:16 came to mind. For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Tyler
I asked him about the look on his face. He was concentrating on the cars and the people and Christ. I pray we will need to order another cross. 

As cars would pass by he was able to point out a number of them that were people he knew from school. A couple of them were coaches and teachers.

Then The Lord blessed our time once more. A car turned in from the intersection, started passed us, hit the breaks, backed up and pulled into the lot we were standing in. It was a 17 year old girl from his high school he is friends with. She asked about what we were doing and why we were on the corner. I talked to her for a few minutes and Tyler gave her a copy of Shocking Youth Message by Paul Washer, Booklet Scientific Facts in the Bible by Ray Comfort and a tract by Tony Miano. She was on her way home from work and headed to get her paycheck cashed. Wherever it was she planned to do such, was about to close and couldn’t stay very long. Then she said one of the most encouraging things I’ve been told while witnessing. “I think what the two of you are doing is wonderful. I will be sure to read and listen to what you gave me.” She thanked us several times for being out there and for talking to her.
 
This was a day I had decided I wasn’t going to be able to go to my corner, it turned out to be the most blessed I have been while there yet. I can’t wait to see what the Lord has planned for the next time at my corner with the cross.

Yes, I had a smile of Joy!     

4 comments:

  1. Very Encouraging indeed! God is really blessing the ministry he has gave you! There is so much joy in soul-winning! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuz
    Everytime I read these I cant help but cry I'm so proud to have you and your family in my life .Tyler is such an inspiration for the youth and for us that may be a year or so older than him .Love you all and may God continue to use you as his work is so important we all get fed by his word and by seeing the witness that you have become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you and your family. We have done this quite a bit in the town where our church is at (Naperville Illinois). I too bring my sons who are 9 and 11 with me. 1st Corinthians 15:58 say's Therefore my beloved bretheren, be ye steadfast,unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, it will be reviewed and posted as soon as possible.